Saturday, January 9

Great quotations

Quotes I've collected:

"On recalling the first time he read The Arabian Nights, Dickends found 'all things become uncommon and enchanted to me! All lamps are wonderful; all rings are talismans!'"
    from Victorian Fairy Tale Book, ed. Michael Patrick Hearn, Introduction

Reminds me of Nikos Kazantzakis, (author of Zorba the Greek) describing his childhood "buzzing bee and honey-filled mind." Our internal life of imagination and wonder.

BTW, my sister tells me that MLA standards no longer include underlining of book titles. Imagine that! But I forgot to ask if we are now to use bold or italic. If I've got it wrong, I'm sure the deity has forgiven.

"Letters are the great fixative of experience. Time erodes feeling. Time creates indifference. Letters prove to us that we once cared. They are the fossils of feeling."
     journalist Janet Malcolm, from
More Than Words: Illustrated Letters from the Smithsonian's Archives of American Art

"no organism can survive very long without externally originating cutaneous stimulation."
     Ashley Montague. Touching: The Human Significance of Skin.

If anyone wonders why you want a hug, you can use this fancy way to say that we all need touch.

And finally,

"If freedom means anything, it is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
     George Orwell

I have a few more which I will save for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment